Understanding Te Tiriti is an engaging and comprehensive overview of Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Over the course of one day, you’ll gain an understanding of:
- why we have a treaty – relationships pre-1840, the context for a treaty
- what it says – the wording and understandings of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- what happened post signing – treaty breaches, the impacts of colonisation and Māori responses
- current issues – key events post 1975, including the Treaty settlement process
- what can I/we do? – personal and/or group responses
For individuals and small groups:
We run Understanding Te Tiriti as a public workshop a few times each year. If you want to be informed of future dates (and you’re not already on our mailing list) please let us know.
Understanding Te Tiriti – online
Understanding Te Tiriti is now available as a self-paced online workshop. It contains all the content of an in-person workshop, including videos, activities and readings. The workshop takes approximately 5 hours to complete and you have access to the course for 8 weeks. Book here.