Understanding Te Tiriti is an engaging introduction to Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Over the course of one day, you’ll gain an understanding of:
- why we have a treaty – relationships pre-1840, the context for a treaty
- what it says – the wording and understandings of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- what happened post signing – treaty breaches, the impacts of colonisation and Māori responses
- current issues – key events post 1975, including the Treaty settlement process
- what can I/we do? – personal and/or group responses
For individuals and small groups (less than 16 people):
We run Understanding Te Tiriti as a public workshop, hosted by Newtown Community & Cultural Centre in Newtown, Wellington, a few times each year. If you want to be informed of future dates (and you’re not already on our mailing list) please let us know.
For organisations: We offer Understanding Te Tiriti in conjunction with a half- or full-day Applying Te Tiriti workshop. Read more about how we work and then please contact us about your requirements.