Rauemi | Resources
READINGS & ACTIONS
There’s a wealth of useful resources out there about Te Tiriti of Waitangi and it can be difficult to know where to begin. We have compiled a brief one-page list (by no means exhaustive) of the key texts, websites and other media we at Groundwork draw on to inform our workshops. This list is also presented below.
Included in the document are ideas for personal actions people might take in response to Te Tiriti or one of our Te Tiriti workshops.
Books and reports:
- Anderson, A. Binney, J. Harris, A. (2014) Tangata Whenua: an illustrated history. Wellington: BWB Bridget Williams Books. A comprehensive history spanning 5000 years, grounded in Māori perspectives.
- Calman, R., Morris, T. et. al. (2019) Te Tiriti o Waitangi / The Treaty of Waitangi. Wellington: Lift Education. A reorua (bilingual) graphic novel–good for a range of ages.
- Elkington, B. et. al. (2020) Imagining Decolonisation. Wellington: BWB Texts. Explores the impact of colonisation on Māori and non-Māoriand presents a transformative vision of a country that is fairer for all.
- Healy, S. Huygens, H. Murphy, T. & Parata, H. (2012) Ngā Puhi Speaks Whāngarei: Te Kawariki and Network Waitangi Whangarei. Independent observers report on the Ngāpuhi Nui Tonu Claim 2010.
- Margaret, J. (2019) Becoming really Pākehā E-Tangata. This article considers the necessity to unravel privilege, racism and colonisation, and suggests ways in which Pākehā might work to do so.
- Margaret, J (2016). Ngā Rerenga o Te Tiriti: Community organisations engaging with the Treaty of Waitangi Guidance on Treaty application based on learning from community organisations.
- Margaret, J. (2013) Working as allies: Supporters of indigenous justice reflect. Auckland: AWEA Interviews with non-indigenous New Zealanders and Australians on working in support of indigenous justice.
- Matike Mai Aotearoa (2016) He Whakaaro Here Whakaumu Mō Aotearoa: The Report of Matike Mai Aotearoa-The Independent Working Group on Constitutional Transformation Report of extensive discussions in Te Ao Māori regarding Te Tiriti-honouring constitutional arrangements.
- Mead, H. M. (2016) Tikanga Māori: Living by Māori values. (Revised ed.) Wellington: Huia. Exploration of Māori cultural values and practices.
- Network Waitangi. (2018) The Treaty of Waitangi – questions and answers Accessible answers to the most commonly asked questions.
- Network Waitangi Ōtautahi. (2018) Te Tiriti o Waitangi and He Wakaputanga Documents in te reo with translations.
- Te Kāhui Tika Tangata | The Human Rights Commission (2022) Maranga Mai! The dynamics and impacts of white supremacy, racism and colonisation upon tangata whenua in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Waitangi Tribunal (2014) He Whakaputanga me te Tiriti; The Declaration and the Treaty and
(2022) Tino Rangatiratanga me te Kāwanatanga Reports on Te Paparahi o Te Raki Inquiry. Authoritative and deeply-researched accounts of Te Tiriti context and the period from 1840-1900.
- Walker, R.J., (2004) Ka Whawhai Tonu Matou: Struggle without End. Auckland: Penguin. A history of Aotearoa New Zealand, from creation and Polynesian migration through to the present.
Websites for general information and current issues:
- Asians Supporting Tino Rangatiratanga A range of resources (including videos) & tauiwi perspectives from various Asian backgrounds
- He Tohu: Signatures that shape New Zealand National Library information and resources
- Whakaata Māori News and documentaries – including The Negotiators (on Treaty settlement process)
- Treaty settlements Government website with details of Treaty settlements
- Waitangi Tribunal In-depth reports and information on current Tribunal inquiries
- Search iwi/hapū websites by name. Te Kāhui Māngai has a directory of Iwi & Māori Organisations by location
- Ātea (The Spinoff), E-Tangata, Kahu (NZ Herald), Pou Tiaki (Stuff), Te Ao Māori News (Māori TV), Whare Kōrero (iwi radio)
I want to:
LEARN MORE ABOUT TE TIRITI AND THE ACTIONS I CAN TAKE
- Te Tiriti readings and actions
- Working as allies – the book
- Discussion starters for allies
- 0800Haumi: Allies in action – Julia Whaipooti and Jen Margaret in conversation
- Tangata Tiriti Haumi: Allies in Health Webinar
GET GUIDANCE AND TOOLS FOR UPHOLDING TE TIRITI IN OUR ORGANISATION
- Applying Te Tiriti in organisations – Ngā Rerenga o Te Tiriti – community organisations engaging with the Treaty resource and case studies
- Te Tiriti articles in practice – An expression of Te Tiriti articles to guide work in the kāwanatanga sphere
KNOW MORE ABOUT WHAT PĀKEHĀ CAN DO TO ADDRESS INHERITED PRIVILEGE
- Land of the Long White Cloud – A documentary series that tells the stories of Pākehā who are confronting our colonial past and present.
- State of the Nation – Jen Margaret explores the necessity to unravel privilege, racism and colonisation, and suggests ways in which Pākehā might work to do so. Available as an essay or audio.
hear about new workshops and resources